Friday, February 6, 2015

Healthy Spotlight: Chia seeds

Bringing these posts back from the memory box. 

Today I will tell you about something that I have been doing extensive research during the last couple of years (Which to me feel like just a couple months ago). 

Chia seeds come from a dessert plant called Salvia Hispanica, which is grown in Mexico dating back from the Maya and Aztec cultures in which they were used as energy boosters.  
The seeds are filled with omega-3, carbohydrates, proteins, fiber, antioxidants, calcium and phosphorus. They can be processed by the body. Therefore they are considered to be a superfood. 

As they contain water soluble fiber, it expands in the stomach giving the sensation of being full, eat less and improve intestinal health. It helps reduce fat and makes it longer for the increase of sugar in the blood which gives anxiety and therefore makes you eat less snacks.

Chia seeds also represent a good source of calcium being more assimilable than milk's in 500%. Contains magnesium whcih is present in broccoli and has more than 1400% than that same vegetable. The seeds are also rich in phosphorus, iron, antioxidants, selenium and has more fiber than any other regular cereal.

I have introduced chia into my diet and it has been a great nutritional complement. I have seen some good results, I wont say I have more energy, but I do feel more active, and my skin is a little brighter, my nails stronger and my hair is a little shinnier.

The reccomendations they make are that you consume around two table spoons of chia seeds daily, because in that way you will get all the benefits presents in them.

It is important that you get to know that there are also some health repercussions and it is said that people with cardiac problems or with diabetes should stay away from them because of the different symptoms they may have to their illnesses. Also people with digestive problems should avoid its consumption because it may cause them irritations.

Here is where I put my disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor a nutritionist to tell you what to eat or what not to eat, the thing is that I am really into nutrition and do some research by my own and consult with some friends the different benefits they have found to get when eating different food.

I am not a picky eater, I actually would try anything (well not anything, I try to stay away from fried bugs or anything that crawls and has no backbone).

I like to have my chia sprinkled over salads, fruit salads, with oatmeal, oatbran, in homemade bread, in actually anything that I can eat and combine.

I have found several recipes of a chia pudding. But I have tried the following one from Peanut Butter and Peppers which I leave you all the link here.

Vanilla Chia Pudding from Peanut Butter and Peppers.com 

In general, Chia seeds have been a great discovery for me ever since I first heard of them. I have made more indepth analysis on the exports, imports and more International business related studies for project matters, but maybe someday I will write about it. 

Have you ever tried chia seeds? have you found them to improve any aspects of your health? Tell me all about it in the comment section :) a nice conversation could be started! 

I hope you are having a great day, It is Friday after all! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting! I hope you have a great experience here and that your day is a little more bareable

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...